Safety Precautions: fire, gas, electricity and water
What can I do to protect my home against fire? There are lots of simple safety precautions you can take to help reduce the risk of fire in your home.
- Do not store flammable liquids, bottled gas or paraffin in your home.
- Always keep fire doors shut, and keep exit routes clear.
- Bicycles should not be chained to handrails on the stairways left in the corridors or in the main entrance area.
- Residents should not leave any obstructions in the corridors or stairwells.
- Do not overload sockets.
- Install Battery Fire Alarms in all of your rooms.
Make sure you know where your gas meter and the main gas supply tap is. If in doubt, ask at the office.
What to do if there is a gas leak in my home? If you think you may have a gas leak or can smell gas you should follow these simple steps:
- Open the doors and windows for ventilation.
- Ensure that all gas appliances are switched off.
- If you can still smell gas, turn the gas supply off at the meter and phone the gas emergency service: TRANSCO ON 0800 111 999
If there is a strong smell of gas when you enter the front door, do not go inside. Gently close the door and telephone the gas company.
- Do not use matches or naked flames or smoke.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off.
What to do if my electricity goes off?
- If only your home is affected, check the main fuse box to see whether the trip switch has turned your supply off. Modern fuse boxes have a tripping mechanism instead of ‘blowing’ a fuse it automatically switches off.
- If you cannot find the cause of the problem call the All Saints office
For health and safety reason and to comply with the terms & condition of the tenancy or leasehold agreement: it is totally forbidden to have a BBQ on the grounds of the estate or flat balconies.
Please note all All Saints staff carry Photo Identification; please be careful who you let into your property. Occasionally we are required to use outside contractors. If you are unsure that someone is genuine, please ask to see their ID or phone All Saints Office.